Thursday, November 4, 2010

Appologies for Procrastination

Well, somehow I've allowed my documentation process to fall behind. So here is a catch up post on what I've been working on.

Recently it has been decided that a rear projection screen may not be the best plan of attack for the theater set up. Instead we have been assigned the task of designing a back wall that will be receded from the stage which will be projected on by us. I believe the idea is to move the wall far enough behind the stage so that the projections will not be interfered with by the actors i.e. shadow castings. As of now we are pulling inspiration from artists such as Cherdak in creating a structure with strong perspective and a compartmentalized cubist aesthetic. For some reason I tend to skip sketching stages and dive straight into building so I created the following model to test how certain shapes and design decisions will affect projections.


.



Using this model I utilized our awesome tiny laser projector. I mounted it on a tripod and hooked it up to my laptop and painted onto it live. After a while I came up with the the following.








Yes it is rough, but I learned a lot about designing the wall. I think that projecting from straight on would be our best bet to eliminate unwanted shadows, but I don't think that's a possibility. Current ideas suggest that we will be projecting from high with a short throw distance which, on a wall like this, will create hard and long shadows cast from shelves and protruding objects. I think we need to think of a shallower depth design and use projections to create the depth.

Prior to this experiment we had a photo shoot to prepare for. It was a proposal for the show to be picked up and needed to show aspects of how projections could be used in a theatrical setting. Unfortunately we had one week and our projections were static and couldn't explore movement and animation, but all in all I thought the setup looked good.

Our first setup was an SAE interview. I had strep throat at this time and did most of my work from home. We are adapting an older tale that involves monkeys and a narrative about the importance of total team work. I am creating the monkey model/rig etc. to be used at a later date. He is hanging out on the bookshelves.





Next was a mock discussion about animals use of camouflage. We utilized a mallard for our example. I created a 3d model in Maya of a duck then Matt Lewis took it and generated a real life model. That figure was wrapped and projected on several times to show different stages/examples of camouflage. (center of the table, can barely see it)







Finally was a experiment in painting live onto actors and an interrogation scene. This was all Nikki and Vita.



No comments:

Post a Comment